There is officially less than three weeks until the first glorious day of summer! The days are getting longer and we are pretty much living outside. That means its crunch time to get ready for the first trip to the beach or pool! By making these six easy adjustments to your daily routine, you will amp up your efforts to look and feel your best when swim time arrives. Are you ready?
#1 Drinking lemon water daily.
- Lemons are antiseptic, they are great for your liver and promote detoxification and healthy digestion.
- The pectin contained in the lemon is also assist with weight loss by creating a feeling of fullness.
- Lemon water has fewer calories than any alternatives you might be drinking, with the exception of plain water.
- Lemons help maintain a healthy pH level in the body. Most foods such as meat, dairy and grains are highly acidic. A balanced diet must include foods with an alkaline pH, which surprisingly lemons have.
- Lemons are filled with a plethora of vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B-complex, calcium, iron, potassium… the list goes on.
#2 Adding REAL, GRASS-FED gelatin to your diet. Like this brand!
- Gelatin is derived from collagen and improves skin tone and elasticity. Dietary collagen, aka gelatin, is the best way to go if you want to increase the amount of collagen in your skin. Collagen molecules are too large to be absorbed by the skin and therefore expensive makeup or wrinkle creams containing collagen are pointless. Because wrinkles are a result of the breakdown of collagen in the dermal layer of your skin, you need to replenish that collagen to reverse them.
- Gelatin is great for healthy hair and nails.
- Gelatin contains 19 of the 20 amino acids, which are necessary for building and maintaining muscle tone, as well as keeping a good metabolism. Humans cannot make 10 of the amino acids, and gelatin is a good way to make sure you are getting a good dose of those.
- Gelatin improves digestion by protecting and lining the mucosal lining of the digestive tract. This is great for those of us with leaky gut!
#3 Eating raw WHOLE carrots every day.
- Just a precursor – never ever eat baby carrots. They are dipped in a chlorine and water solution to prolong shelf life. Organic baby carrots are dipped in a citrus based solution called Citrox. As if that wasn’t gross enough, the peel of the carrot is the part which contains antibacterial and antimicrobial compounds it needs when it is growing under ground. When you purchase baby carrots with the peel removed, you can just assume what kind of bacteria is growing on them. Have you ever opened a bag of baby carrots that felt slimy? Skip the babies and go for the real, beautiful deal.
- Carrots are the best and simplest natural tool for balancing hormones. They contain a unique fiber which does not feed bad bacteria (as most undigested fibers do) and therefore lowers inflammation. These fibers can also bind to excess estrogen and other hormones and remove them from the body. This is important because most of our society has too much estrogen due to dietary intake of soy, stress and exposure to pesticides, plastics and other chemicals in our environments. Excess estrogen causes weight gain, migraines, weakened immune function and disease. So eat your whole, raw carrots!
#4 15 minutes of exercise a day
- Studies have shown that just 15 minutes a day of exercise a day can increase life expectancy by three years. Other studies show that 15 minutes is just as effective as 35. What ever the studies say, I know that I feel better after I’ve moved a little. Even if it means going for a leisurely walk, get out there and move!
#5 Drink more water!
- The rule of thumb for water consumption is drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces. Stick to this rule, because drinking too much water can burn out your adrenals.
- Drinking water makes you less hungry. Have you ever thought you were hungry but realized you are actually thirsty? That happens to me all the time!
- Drinking water keeps skin clear and healthy by flushing toxins out and maintaining moisture.
- Drinking water prevents headaches. Next time you have a headache, try drinking a glass of water instead of taking a pill. It really helps!
- Drinking water can replace a soda, coffee or an alcoholic beverage, saving you some calories and stress on your body. This will save you money, too!
#6 Eliminate inflammatory foods – e.g. gluten, processed sugar, pasteurized dairy and processed food.
- This step is a little less simple than the others, but one I think is necessary to look and feel your best! Inflammatory foods are foods which cause the body to send immune cells via increased blood flow to the site of irritation. Constantly eating these foods will cause chronic inflammation, which can lead to weight gain, allergies, depression and disease. Eliminating these foods will give you increased energy, better mental state and probably lose weight too.
- An elimination diet is a powerful tool to determine which foods your body is sensitive to. Here is a link to Dr. Oz’s instructions for a proper elimination diet. I was able to determine sensitivities to gluten, dairy, processed sugar, red wine, cantaloupe, bananas and avocados by doing an elimination diet. If you are constantly flooding your body with things that make you feel not so great you will not be able to tell which exact foods are causing it without doing an elimination diet. I highly recommend this process in order to look and feel great!
What steps are you taking to get ready for summer? Please share in the comments below!
Brady, Krissy. “11 Benefits of Lemon Water.” Lifehack.org. 31 May 2014 http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/11-benefits-lemon-water-you-didnt-know-about.html